CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Immersion Days etc.

I just got back from what is called Immersion Days and while I was somewhat apprehensive about the experience at first, the reality is entirely different.

Let me start by describing the activity briefly. Each trainee is assigned to a volunteer that is currently serving and that volunteer finds a place for the trainee to stay in a canton close to where the live. The volunteer then shares some information about how to get to the assigned community and from there it is the responsibility of the trainee to get there by bus or other indicated means of transportation. After that, the trainee stays in the appointed community for two days by himself and the third day meets with the volunteer and stays with him for a day.

That all sounds rather scary on paper. But the reality of it is that it wasn't all that bad. We have all already struck out once to places unfamiliar to us and to live with people unfamiliar with us when we moved to our host communities. This time the experience was tempered by the fact that if something happened, we weren't staying there long term.

The place where I stayed was a rather quiet little canton in La Union, the self proclaimed hottest department in El Salvador. I'd say that it is absolutely true. It borders on oppressively hot there in the middle of the day. I stayed in the house of a man named Ismael, was led around town by my primary contact named Efraim and ate at yet another house of a woman named Ophelia. This all added up to quite a bit of walking around during the heat of the day. It also meant that since I was viewed as more of a communal visitor and not anyone in particular's sole responsibility. That meant when the three people mentioned had something to do, I was either left alone to read Roughing It by Mark Twain or was left to the mercy of anyone who happened to stop by. More often than not a young boy stopped by to watch what Bryan Dwyer calls "gringo TV". This consisted mainly of sidling up next to me and staring at me with a slight tilt of the head and a slack-jaw. This also consisted of the young boy resisting any and all attempts I made to talk to him in favor of just staring at me slack-jawed. I'm sure that is the preferred "gringoTV" position in many a canton.

I also had the pleasure of being shown the "zona verde" no less than three times by different people. They are very proud of this little public swatch of land that has a few trees, some sickly grass and a few "nacimientos" where water collects from the stream and can be used to wash clothes, clean dishes or bathe in. I took in the spectacle humbly every time and commented on how nice the shade is if you want to go down to the river and bathe. Good thing I saw it all though, because the following morning I needed to use my new knowledge and go and bathe in the stream. I'm sure this was a sight because all the women doing washing of any sort stopped and just watched me take a bucket bath. I assume I did everything correctly, but I can't be sure really. Enough of that though, afterwards I had the privilege of staying at Nate Dollar's house, which is a mansion by volunteer standards. I got to stay with him for about 18 hours. After that we departed in the morning for San Salvador.

In the capital the Embassy was putting on a sort of pre July 4th celebration. Peace Corps is invited to attend at a reduced fee, so volunteers and trainees alike show up in droves. It was good to spend some quality time with Americans, speak english and most importantly get a few beers for $1 a piece. The whole affair didn't last that long though since our rides back to our host communities showed up after a short time. Most trainees didn't like leaving, and so decided to stay, but I didn't want to tempt fate or my shaky stomach and decided to go back to Santo Domingo for a good nights sleep and some purified water.

0 remarks: