CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Trying to get my feet wet

Literrally I am just trying to get my face out there and see as much of my municipality as I possibly can. That is harder than you think considering my municipality is one of the 10 largest in the country. (I figured that out after some research into relative sizes.) Furthermore I would like to get and about more, but I find myself lurking about my town trying to figure out just what to do about a house and trying to stalk the few people I know that either own houses or can help me look for one. There is much more to getting out as well, like transportation, or lack thereof. My Alcaldia doesn't have its own vehicle right now, so all the social promoters and I get around in whoever's pickup can be borrowed that day and make runs to various communities and run back and forth picking people up and dropping people off. Sometimes that leaves us waiting at a site for a while or getting somewhere else really late. It can also leave me stuck somewhere much later than I wanted to be or with a different social promoter at an event I wasn't really planning on attending.

The random location and attendance pattern isn't all bad though. Tuesday I stumbled upon a meeting of people who were trying to build a legalized community group with aspirations to be a environmental group. They apparently are a group of fishermen who have gotten permission from the government to collect turtle eggs and then hatch them and return the baby turtles to the wild. Now they are looking to legalize their group in order to solicit funds. With this they plan to receive donations of food, money and equipment to make a effect a more permanent ability to raise and release turtles. Of course there is always a hitch, or several. They don't have enough people is the first problem, and I think we can fix that if they would just agree to either join the already existing community group and use their legal standing, or look for more members, but they seemed skeptical. Additionally they aren't all environmentally minded. On closer inspection they actually keep and eat or sell a portion of the turtle eggs. Seems a little counter-intuitive for a group trying to raise and release turtles, but hey, other people are just collecting the eggs and selling them, so if these guys want to raise and release some, that is something that nobody else is doing. So I figure it is better to help these guys out and try to get them to raise more and sell fewer eggs than to just let them be. Still, I am excited to have stumbled upon one of the first projects I can help with and get excited about.

Up until now I have just been tagging along and watching somewhat dumbfounded at what my social promoters have been doing, this is my first real chance to contribute to the developement.

0 remarks: