CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

First impressions again

Ok I know I already went to my site and had my first impressions, but since I wasn't really "living" there yet I reserve the right to have my first impressions again.

Ok, so the pueblo is actually much bigger than it looks because being nestled in the hills and among a forest, the houses and streets sort of meander into the hills and trees and can't really be seen unless you know where to look. Apparantly I had no idea during my site visit. Now I know because I went around meeting people while they were fleeing from their houses because their houses were being fumigated.

Also, my town is still just as quiet as I thought. Really very little happens after the alcaldia closes. I hope this changes with time and as I meet people. I know people are hanging out somewhere, probably in their houses or somewhere semi-private. I figure as I get to know people maybe I will be invited to tag along to something or other and maybe even get invited over for dinner now and then. One thing at a time though. I managed to go to the Sunday soccer games, and although I didn't really meet anyone new, at least they all know that I like soccer... er fĂștbol... and that I know the rules. I'm hoping fĂștbol is the first step to integration.

My house situation is coming along slowly. Right now I am staying in a quaint little room for free which is great while I wait. I don´t really want to stay there though, as I had my heart set on the larger house that the room is part of. I can´t really cook or clean or store food or anything while my living situation is so up in the air and I really wanna get this settle because eating out all the time isn't as much fun as indicated in El Salvador, especially on a limited budget. I am doing my best to talk to the owner, but he is busy, I am busy and for some reason the language barrier is much harder to overcome with him. I mean I speak spanish, or so I thought...

So that leads me to spanish. The Peace Corps in El Salvador has created a multi-tier system for rating the spanish skills of its volunteers. I came in as a Novice advance, which in my words is like the best of the losers. The aim of the language facilitators is to get the lower level speakers into the intermediate range where they can communicate more easily and have a better understanding. I jumped from Novice Advance to Intermediate Advance, which I am proud of, but I was really hoping to get up to Advance Low. That really would have been a good accomplishment. Still I have nothing to complain about I jumped three levels, which is more than most. It has only been a small amount of time and already my spanish is much better, I am excited to think how I will be speaking after a year or more.

3 remarks:

Mike said...

Carl,

I just came across your journal about your adventures in El Salvador. I added a link to your page to a database I collected of Peace Corps Journals and blogs:

Worldwide PC Blog Directory:
http://www.PeaceCorpsJournals.com/

Features:
1. Contains over 1,500 journals and blogs from Peace Corps Volunteers serving around the world.
2. Official rules and regulations for current PCV online Journals and blogs. Those rules were acquired from Peace Corps Headquarters using the Freedom of Information Act.
3. The map for every country becomes interactive, via Google, once clicked on.
4. Contact information for every Peace Corps staff member worldwide.
5. Links to Graduate School Programs affiliated with Peace Corps, along with RPCVs Regional Associations.
6. And each country has its own detailed page, which is easily accessible with a possible slow Internet connection within the field.

There is also an e-mail link on every page. If you want to add a journal, spotted a dead link, or have a comment.

Thanks for volunteering with the Peace Corps!

-Mike Sheppard
RPCV / The Gambia
http://www.PeaceCorpsJournals.com/

FGT said...

hi carl,
so glad ur blogging about ur adventures! I hope u get your "dream house" soon where u can cook up all the corn you want...till then keep us all updated.
gwin (sam's friend)

Becca said...

Yay! Congrats on the language thing, man! I've really enjoyed reading about your adventures thus far! Keep them coming...:)