CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Big Things

Ok not really any big things, I lied. Things have been relatively quiet here as usual, but with a little less for me to do recently in terms of work so I've been enjoying a little bit of exploration and whatnot.

Two weeks ago a new group of volunteers swore in so on a Thursday I headed to the capital to meet some of them and join them to party in their honor. That was fun as the swearing in party usually is, but this time it was a bit smaller, which is fine by me because I am not one for huge dance clubs and so much noise I can't think. I prefer a pub or dive bar any day. The following night I stayed in the capital because on Saturday there was a Peace Corps soccer game. Friday I think wound up being more fun than Thursday because we stopped at Happy Hour at the Intercontinental for 2 for 1 margaritas and a free Nacho Bar. The occasion was to say goodbye to the 2005 Rural Health volunteers who are leaving as of now. We also went to a second bar where the Peace Corps crowd was a decent size and I had a good time hanging out with volunteers I don't usually get to see.

The soccer game was a bit more eventful than usual, owing in part to the strange start it had due to the previous evening's debauchery on the part of several volunteers and the difficulty in getting an early start. One or two volunteers never got over the previous evening's alcohol and decided a little hair o' the dog was in order, but that just led to further drunkenness on the field. On top of all of our other minor issues, it was stiflingly hot and humid. I thought I would honestly pass out the first half. The second half we decided to play skins and for some reason this had a huge effect on our game and we actually scored a few goals. I still thoroughly enjoyed myself even with all the set backs in the game and the blisters on my feet.'

DSC01340This last weekend the Alcaldia was closed Monday and Tuesday, so at the suggestion of a few volunteers in the area we set up a hike for Sunday that would take us into El Imposible, over the peak in the park and out into Tacuba, the pueblo to our north. I have no idea the distance we hiked, but it took us a little over 6 hours and at least 4 of them were spent hiking uphill. The hike was absolutely gorgeous and I wish we had spent a tad bit more time just relaxing and looking, but we wanted to get into Tacuba at a reasonable hour and relax some. On the way we saw the bridge that is actually named El Imposible and gives the park its name. The view from there is pretty spectacular and on either side there is a pretty severe drop. It was a little overcast so we couldn't see as well as I had hoped, but people say you can see the ocean, Guatemala and the city of Ahuachapan from the bridge. We continued on to the peak where there is a community called Naranjitos in which a new volunteer got assigned.DSC01341 We stopped for a few to meet him and relax. After as steep descent we came upon Tacuba where we lunched upon ice cream and soda and then had some time for showers and hammocks at our hostel. We spent the night in Tacuba playing some cards and having a few well earned beers before heading back by bus on Monday which took us about 4 hours in total. I am glad we did the hike and I am surprised that I'm not actually sore after all that. I plan to try this hike again at some point, hopefully when the ground isn't as muddy.

Tomorrow I am taking my dog to the Capital to have her spayed since she is already 6 months old and I don't want any male dogs coming a suiting. I am taking her so far because of a horror story with another volunteer in my area and her dog which almost died as a result of a less than professional job if you ask me. So its nothing but the best and most difficult for Kaya. I'll let you all know how it goes.

0 remarks: