CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Unexpected

Life is moving at a rapid pace for me now. Last week was a good week in general. I got a lot accomplished comparatively and there were some pleasant surprises along the way.
I'll start by talking about work. I met 3 girls, two that have previously received scholarships and are trying to renew them and one whose family is so poor that she sought me out to try to get a scholarship so she could go to tenth grade. I helped all three of them fill out their forms and made a mad dash to San Sal to turn in the two that were due yesterday, October 15th. Since I hadn't really been working on anything of that type until now it is both fulfilling and depressing to see that school is so affordable and yet families still can't rummage enough to send their kids. I'm desperately hoping that all three of these girls get their scholarships. Two are just trying to get through high school and the third is looking to get to a university, which is dreaming bigger than 90% of everyone I have met in this country. I'm crossing my fingers.
For pleasant surprises, I got a few amazing phone calls almost back to back on friday. First, to my surprise, Rebecca called me from France. It knocked me for a loop. I had talked to her not that long ago while she spent her brief stint in the US between France and Japan, but I didn't expect a call from so far. Needless to say it was like a breath of fresh air speaking to a friend from home that isn't part of my family. Then just afterwards Fabio, my host dad from training, called who I haven't seen in months. It was just nice to hear from him and it lifted my spirits even more. So by mid-day Friday I was on a bit of a high. I had a great meeting with an NGO who works on environmental concerns in my Municipio, I spoke to Rebecca, and then Fabio called.
Then the weekend came and life continued to be good. Mirna, the woman that runs the comedor that I eat in, offered me one of her tanks of propane so I don't have to cough up the extra $32 to replace the tank I left behind in my hasty move. Plus she made me the best pan relleno I have had since I was living near San Vicente. So you know, a pan relleno is like french bread stuffed with vegetables, chicken, cheese and other goodness cooked in chicken broth. That doesn't really do it justice, but it was amazing. I also purchased two artisan made tables that I should take possession of next week.
Right now I am in Juayua, a beautiful mountain community that is cool and just generally nice to be in. I am here for a regional meeting of volunteers and taking advantage of some free WiFi. Unfortunately blessings come with curses, and I decided to bring Kaya, who proceeded to either break a toe, or almost break a toe upon meeting so many cool new people. So tomorrow I will take her for a second opinion to a Vet I trust in Santa Ana. Quite frankly I think its broken, but the vet said no and gave her a cortisone shot. She is limping pretty bad though and it isn't looking any better. So much for trying to take care of her, it just isn't possible with a puppy in this country. Cross your fingers for her.

0 remarks: